Friday, August 22, 2008

Bruce Arena is now Galaxy top dog

I was tickled to read that the Galaxy thinks they've struck gold in the midst of all this Olympic fever.

They hired former US national coach Bruce Arena to replace Ruud Guillit who mysteriously quit for personal reasons.

And the headline in today's LA Times story reads, "With Arena on bench Galaxy still loses, 1-0." As a former newspaper photographer, I always thought headline writing is truly an artform but it should be balanced between reality and sensationalism.

In Arena's defense, this headline is asinine. Most soccer fans know the coach doesn't win the game, so enough said.

I predict Arena will leave the Galaxy as quickly as he arrived. His credentials are nothing compared to the players he is coaching. 

Having played once in goal on the national team as a 2nd half sub in a 2-0 loss to Israel hardly qualifies as a player of any calibre. 

When push comes to shove and tempers flare in the locker room, what does Arena say to his players when they ask, "Okay, Bruce.. how do you know this? "


No comments: